Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Journal from Amy

Taking a tour of The People's Palace,  in my very first hostel, and experiencing a six hour train ride through the countryside of Romania have been memories to cherish; Nothing compares to the sites I have seen. Choosing this missions trip to be my first exploration of Europe, I am glad that I came to Romania. In the past three days I have been to three countries: France, Holland, and now Romania.  Although some of the customs are different here from back home, from taxi drivers not wanting to take us to the train station because it's not worth the same as going to the airport, piles of trash heaped along the railways in the countryside between towns, smoking by the dozens, and graffiti covering the beautifully structured architecture; There is no reason why I would choose to stay at home in the summer when I have this beautiful opportunity to work in a foreign country, learn a new language, appreciate a new culture that is different than my own, discover more about myself, and build ropes courses for The VIATA Summer program. I would also like to take a moment to thank my parents for allowing me to go on the adventure and helping send me on this journey, without them I would not be here today. That being said, on our tour this morning we saw a palace lavished with chandeliers and each and every part of the building of object in the building were made in Romania.


Father Tim and I joked throughout our expedition about how the palace secretly belonged to him and we were trying to design the interior with how we would fill each of the thousands of rooms.
He has taken the role of a father figure, joking around with us but also protecting us from being separated from the group in the subway or fainting from dehydration. Not to mention our fearless leaders, Mr. And Mrs. Smick, who have smoothly kept their calm when we missed our connecting flight to Bucharest from Paris, having to fly three times in one day, and successfully watch over six irritable teenagers who are always hungry and exhausted. The time we will spend together as a "family" in Romania will be moments spent with joy and laughter, crying and sleeping, learning and praying as we spend time serving the lord. Throughout the next two weeks I hope to write again and speak more about my time here in Romania and the moments I'll have to share. 
Love, 
Amy Thissell

2 comments:

  1. Wow!
    I cannot believe everything you all have been through. I pray the rest of your journey goes as planned and provides you all with every opportunity to do Gods work and enjoy it.
    It is often that we take for granted the mere luxuries we all have at home. To see the less fortunate people in the world and more primitive surroundings is often what allows us to worship and pray even more.
    It sounds like you all have also seen the beauty of Romania as well. (Some day maybe all of us can go to FR.Tims palace and enjoy its beauty decorating the interior of the many rooms)
    On a more personal note, thank you all for taking care of my daughter Amy Grace Thissell.
    When Amy asked to go on this mission trip for whatever reason we had no reservations. I am quite certain it was a silent calling from God that Amy needed to spread her wings even further than her very independent self and serve the Lord in a new and different way. I know she will leave a lasting impression behind her in Romania and the wok she helps with as well as her fellow mission trip family.
    God bless you all.
    (cant wait for tomorrows blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amy, for your 'BRILLIANT' blog entry! Loved it all! So happy you all rose graciously and patiently to the frustrations and challenges of delayed/missed/rescheduled flights and carried on so well. Thankfully, you finally arrived safely in the wee hours of the morning and were rewarded with a shorter than planned good night's sleep and some good sight-seeing in Bucharest including the GRAND palace, a meaningful trek through the city, a taxi ride, and finally a long train ride to Lupeni where you were warmly and lovingly welcomed by our CTR missionaries, Brandi and Dana, Briana and Gabriel Bates...and are now ensconced, happily we pray, in your missions work with Romanian youth there. Thank you all for responding positively to God's call. God bless...with warm hugs to all of you and to the Bates family. (This comment replaces a longer one sent earlier, but very quickly lost. :0))

    With thankful hearts for you and with much love and God's rich blessings to you all,

    Lillian

    ReplyDelete